Monday 18 February 2013

Lent

We are already 5 days into the season of Lent.  I don't 'give up' anything for Lent.  Instead, it's a time of prayer, fasting and almsgiving for me.  I try to say a daily rosary, not eat between my meals...and just eat less in general.  I try not to bake during Lent....although I find this really hard....so sometimes I'll make a Sunday treat.  I made these for the Sunday treat yesterday....but it was for a big family get together...so I had a good reason for baking.

I tried so hard not to eat any...but I did...I had one or two.  BUT I won't be making these again anytime soon.

I will spend my spare moments cleaning out a cupboard or drawer....and I will try to pray as I do so.  I would rather be cooking or baking than cleaning but during Lent I clean more and cook less.  It's a time of reflection and renewal.

Some days are better than others....sometimes I forget....and as I'm making that snack for someone else I will snack too.  I need to be reminded and I'm a very visual person.  So today I decided to make a centrepiece for our table for Lent.

I took out some glass things from the cupboard....a few candle holders, a vase, a couple of drinking glasses.  Then I took Sophie and Lydia outside and we gathered some rocks from the rock pile in the field....it was the only place to get rocks as everything is still covered in snow.  I filled one of my barn board boxed with the candle holders, vase and drinking glasses.  Then I placed the rocks in the vase and a couple in the box.  I placed a wooden cross in amongst the rocks making it stand up in the vase.  I tied some burlap around the bottom of the vase.  I also added my red, blessed candle in the box.  We lit the candles at supper time.


35 more days to go....

Brenda

2 comments:

  1. This is beautiful Brenda! Tonight, I'm catching up on the posts that I have missed over the past little bit...sorry that I didn't see this one sooner...will have to remember this for next year, I really like it. Krista.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Krista! It really helped me remember that it was Lent. I intended on taking all the rocks out on Easter Sunday and filling it with Easter eggs, but it was such a busy weekend I didn't get around to it!

      Delete

I would love to hear from you! Let me know if you enjoyed this post and please share it with a friend.