Friday 17 May 2013

Puke

Puke.  It just doesn't excite me like it used too.

I've handled a lot of pukey situations over the last few years.

I've woke up in the middle of the night and heard, "Mom" and then the little sweetheart pukes all over the floor.

I've woke up to hear someone heading down the stairs to the bathroom...but they don't make it...and I hear puke splattering all over the stairs and railing.

I've actually tried to catch puke in my hand so I wouldn't have to wash all the sheets and blankets AGAIN.  I was really exhausted that night.

Usually just one person pukes at a time and then the next person pukes a couple days later and then the next person a couple days later and so on.

BUT....sometimes the extraordinary happens.  I remember one night when Johanna, Grady and Jack were small.  I had babysat my nephew for the day and he was sick with the flu.  He was only about a year and a half so he had puked over most of the living room by the end of the day.  We had all been exposed at the same time and so that night we all started puking at the same time.  ALL of us.  It was insane.  I had never experienced anything like it.  Terry and I were trying to help three kids puke and we were puking ourselves.

Last night we had another extraordinary puking experience.  Three of the kids had emptied their stomachs before 10pm...and I was hoping the worst was over.  But it was only the beginning.  It just went on and on.  They had dry heaves and their stomachs were just aching.  I just continued to go from room to room.  I knew that Lydia was not sleeping soundly and that she was going to be next.  So, I just got right into her bed....so I would be ready to catch the puke.  She managed to get most of it in the pot....she is a mad puker...fights it all the way.

It seemed to work that if one of them started again, the other ones would hear and then they would all start again.  Four of them....puking in unison.

Terry had asked if he could help but I told him to just go to sleep.  He can't deal with puke.  He just pukes when he sees puke....which is no help.

At 3:20am I finally climbed into my own bed.  I figured it must be over.  It HAD to be over.

But just as I started to drift off to sleep,  Lydia was beside my bed.  She was going to puke.

I got back into her bed with her...and we had a little sleep.

They are all so weak today.

I'm just waiting for my turn...to puke.

Brenda

2 comments:

  1. Ugh...I hate puke too and it's almost always the Moms who seem to have the tougher stomachs and have to handle it/clean up etc. I remember being pregnant with Mia, had the broken leg and both Ben and I came down with the stomach flu, thankfully Maddie didn't but I remember calling my Mom begging her to come and get Maddie because we were both so sick. I just lay on the floor for two days, couldn't move anywhere with my huge belly and casted leg :( No fun at all. Hope it passes by you and you don't get sick too!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I can't imagine being pregnant with a broken leg...and then getting the flu too. That's brutal.

    ReplyDelete

I would love to hear from you! Let me know if you enjoyed this post and please share it with a friend.