Monday 18 January 2016

Emmett

We said good bye to a good neighbour and friend on the weekend.

Emmett.

Growing up, Emmett was my Grandma's neighbour.  I didn't really know him.  I was actually kind of afraid of him.  He had really big hands and a big booming voice.  I remember being home from school one day having a sick day on Grandma's kitchen couch....the best place to be on a sick day....when Emmett stopped by to tell my Grandma something.  I remember him standing in the doorway of the kitchen talking about cows and the weather.  He was a good neighbour for my Grandma.

Then when Terry bought the farm that we live on in 1993, he was sort of the 'new farmer' around here.  He became friends with Emmett.  They had lots in common....cows and the weather.

We married and I got used to Terry saying....I'm just running over to Emmett's.

or I need to run to Emmett's for the calf pullers.

or I'll ask Emmett.

He and Emmett became good neighbours and friends....always ready to help each other out.

Emmett was a bachelor and owned several farms in the area.

And he knew that he needed to slow down and retire.

We bought the farm that has become 'Dwyer's Farmhouse' in 2002 from Emmett.

He sold off his other farms to other neighbours and remained on his homestead until 2012.  At that time he went to the hospital...and then into a nursing home.

We helped his family organize the HUGE auction sale at his farm in May of 2012.  It was a sale that went from early morning until suppertime!  The crowd was huge...as there was much to be seen and purchased.

Emmett really wanted us to buy his homestead....and we did.

So now we have 'Emmett's place'.

I have turned his kitchen into my baking kitchen for the farmers' market.  Johanna uses the front parlour room to teach fiddle and step dancing lessons two nights a week.  And the other front room has lots of possibilities....I hosted a wedding dinner in November....that post is here.

It's hard to believe that he is gone.

His name comes up on my phone every time I type 'I'm going to....Emmett's.'

or 'Are you at....Emmett's?'

or 'It's over at....Emmett's'

Emmett's name is one of the most used words on my phone!

His kindness will never be forgotten.  We were blessed to have him as a neighbour.

His obituary can be seen here.

Brenda

No comments:

Post a Comment

I would love to hear from you! Let me know if you enjoyed this post and please share it with a friend.